Some times you may wonder how to get outdoors in the winter, because it can be difficult to stay motivated in the cold while bundled up in all the winter gear! There are so many fun ways to still get outdoors in the winter that will keep the kids motivated and want to be outside more in the colder months. We’ve compiled a simple list of fun activities to do outside during the snowy season:
- Play in the snow. You can use sand toys with snow too!
- Build a snowman. You can let the kids pick out what accessories at the dollar store or grocery store for even more fun!
- Make snow angels
- “Paint” the snow
- Take a sled to a nearby hill. If you have more than one, you can race!
- Visit a local skating rink. Bring some sticks and a ball to pass around for longer entertainment!
- Head to the ski hill for a ski/snowboard day!
- Strap on “skis” for toddlers in the backyard
- Go snowshoeing in a large field or somewhere with fresh snow
- Find a cross-country ski trail. You can even have the option to pull a chariot as well!
- Visit the Ice Sculptures — Lake Louise has the Ice Castles every year around January and the Town of Banff does Ice Sculptures as well!
- Check out to see if there are any winter festivals happening near you including the Banff Christmas Market, Jasper in January Festival or the Festival of Lights in Edmonton. Most cities also host a “Glow” event too!
- See Christmas lights in your neighborhood. In Edmonton, there is a specific street — Candy Cane Lane — that puts on a Christmas Lights event every year for the public to view. You can click here to view where to see Christmas lights in and around the City of Calgary.
- Enjoy a fire with hot cocoa and marshmallows. Nothing is more cozy that being cuddled up by the fire!
Do you get outside by doing any of these activities? Make sure you share with us by tagging us @KidsWhoExplore and using hashtags #KidsWhoExplore and #KWE so we can follow along with your winter adventures! Thank you for following along with this week’s blog post!
Is there a blog topic you’d like to see or contribute to? Send us a DM on Instagram!