Are you new to camping and wondering where to begin? Today we discuss tent camping, the packing essentials, and what to do when your son gets an unexpected ear infection in the middle of the night…
Carrie Malin grew up camping. She loves being in the outdoors – camping, hiking, backpacking, and canoeing, joined by her spouse, her son, and her dog! She is the Marketing Manager for Kids Who Explore, and we loved talking all things camping with her!
To Get Kids Excited to Camp:
- build up anticipation
- involve them in packing camping gear
- let them pack a backpack of toys that they carry
Carrie’s Camping Essentials:
- Sleeping Bag
- Head Lamp
- Google: 10 Must-Bring Camping Essentials
Carrie likes to camp May-October, until it gets to -5 degrees Celsius. Tip: Learn to build a fire to keep warm! A perfect camping trip would be 3-4 days for her, but she will take even a night, if that’s all she can get. She loves playing camping games with her son – tag, or X’s & O’s.
Her Advice to Beginner Campers:
- You don’t need fancy gear
- Start small and add as you need
- Plan for one night to start, close to home
- Carrie’s Post, Let’s Get Camping: https://thatoutdoorsyfamily.com/lets-get-camping/
- Hug a Tree Foundation: https://www.adventuresmart.ca/programs/hug-a-tree-and-survive/
Follow Carrie at: IG: @__carrielynnn & www.thatoutdoorsyfamily.com
Thank you to Rumpl for supporting today’s episode! Use EXPLORE15 for 15% your first order at www.rumpl.com
Production: @kpmediaproductions. Music: @michaelferraro_music.