We can all picture that moment where the adult lets go and the kid keeps pedalling…they are doing it, they are biking on their own!! Mike Chan calls that the PedalHead moment. We want every kid to have that moment, not only for their own self-confidence and the opportunity to learn a life-long sport, but also for the quality family time that comes along with it. Today’s podcast shares all the bike tips and tricks, from how to get started, to how to fit a helmet correctly!
Mike Chan is a dad to a 2-year-old, and 6-year-old, plus they often have their dog in tow in the outdoors! They love to find new playgrounds, go on hikes, and play in the snow when it visits them in Vancouver, BC. Mike is also the Marketing Manager for PedalHeads.
PedalHeads has kids programming across North America. They are most known for their biking, but they also offer swim lessons and trail riding programs. They are all about bringing families together by adding a confidence to riding!
Starting Kids Biking:
- Get kids on a bike around age 2, for comfort (you can start indoors)
- Watch other kids biking
- Join PedalHeads camp as young as 2-years-old, with parent and tot option
- Benefits of starting with a balance bike: gives them the feeling of gliding
- Benefits of starting with training wheels: learns the pedalling motion
- Get off training wheels & learn to ride with Pedalheads – https://youtu.be/hoZX59J1JqA
- Learning to Bike Game (water the flowers) – https://youtu.be/TP95YuMbaes
- Learning to Bike Game (lines and circles) – https://youtu.be/slNrJk7MjnA
Biking with Babies:
- Add a chariot to your bike
- Add a bike chair to your bike, once child has proper neck strength and can wear a helmet (after 1-year)
You don’t need the latest, greatest, most expensive bike – the most important part is getting the right size. Check second-hand bike stores, Facebook Market Place, or hand-me-downs from other siblings/friends.
Choosing a Helmet:
- Helmets should not be secondhand
- Follow the 4 S’s: check strap, sticker on there for how old it is, shake your head to check tightness, retention system on the back is ideal for loosening or tightening according to a child’s head and it will fit them better
- Helmet should protect the forehead and back of head – only two fingers (horizontal) should fit above eyebrows
- Brand doesn’t matter, as long as it fits properly!
- [However,] Brands Mentioned: Giro Scamp & Louis Garneau Raid
- Bike and Helmet Fit – https://youtu.be/0mpz1cj2caE
If You Choose to Bike in Winter:
- Watch for ice (be cautious)
- Be aware of traffic
- Have reflective gear, so you can easily be spotted
Books: The Elephant and Piggie Series by Mo Willems
Show: Ted Lasso
Podcast: Finding Cleo
PedalHeads is Located In:
- Canada: BC, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec
- USA: Washington State, Oregon, Colorado, Illinois, Texas, DMV Region, Massachusetts
PedalHeads on Facebook, IG, Twitter & YouTube
Check out KWE’s #patch4apurpose to support 1, or all 8, charities:
Today’s Host: @adriannaadventures & @laurenrodycheberle from @kidswhoexplore
Production: @kpmediaproductions. Music: @michaelferraro_music.