Melissa Bald had a burning desire to explore, but the Van-Life simply wasn’t going to work for her family. So, what did she do? She found a way! The Balds sold their home and rented their way through the USA for a year, allowing her husband to work virtually, and her to homeschool her kiddos! Learn how a year as nomads taught a family how to find adventure in their own backyard!
Their Favourite Outdoor Adventures:
- Nature scavenger hunts
- Enjoying the mountains!
A Memorable Location:
Pros from a Year of Travel:
- So much family bonding time
- They felt safe during the pandemic, because they were their own little bubble
Challenge from a Year of Travel:
- Learning what/how to pack for different climates and homeschool, which all needed to fit into their SUV
- Packing monthly to “move” again
- Finding rentals for the duration they wanted (4-6 weeks each time)
Advice for Those Wanting to Take On Something Similar:
- You can create adventure in smaller stints (start small, if you need)
- You can rent out your house to make it more financially-feasible (they sold, as it was the right time for them)
- Book as you go, so you can gauge how long you want to spend in each place
- You can often use your current address for shipping items you may need, such as contact lenses, or medicine, for example
- Other mail can be forwarded to a (willing) relative, if you don’t have a PO Box
A key takeaway: The Balds had a drive and desire to see everything where they were, and now they bring that into their permanent home/stationary suburb “normal life”!
Alone (on the Discovery Channel)
Check out KWE’s #patch4apurpose to support 1, or all 8, charities:
Today’s Host: @adriannaadventures & @laurenrodycheberle from @kidswhoexplore
Production: @kpmediaproductions.Music: @michaelferraro_music