“Being screen free isn’t about counting minutes on a screen, it’s about choosing moments in real life.” We couldn’t agree more with Andrea Davis, the founder of Better Screen Time. She addresses the benefits of limiting tech, gives ideas for family tech-plans, and shares how we can show healthy screen use as parents!
Andrea Davis is a former Secondary Ed Teacher turned Screen-Time-Navigator. She is the founder of Better Screen Time, where she shares family-tested ideas from the (tech) trenches as a mom of five. She is on a mission to help parents worry less about tech, and connect more with their kids. Andrea and her husband, Tyler, live in beautiful Hood River, Oregon where they love spending time outdoors as a family.
Benefits from Limiting Tech:
- More face-to-face time with family and friends
- Better sleep
- Better grades and behaviour in school
- Less access to content that is not age-appropriate
Adult/Family Tech-Plan Ideas:
- Use TV like an appliance and pull out when in use
- No devices in bedrooms or bathrooms (no screens in isolation; make it family connection based)
- Remember that “safe searches” and limiting websites don’t always help
- Can start kids who need a communication device with a brick phone
There has to be boundaries and emotional intelligence with these devices, because even as adults, we struggle.
How To Show Healthy Screen Use As a Working Parent:
- Have your own healthy boundaries
- Consider a social media sabbatical every Sunday (or choose a day)
- Leave phone at home on date night (show prioritizing relationships)
- “Live your tech-life out loud.” Tell kids what you’re doing on your device
- Have specific work hours
Follow Andrea: https://www.betterscreentime.com
Her Book, Creating a Tech-Healthy Family – https://www.amazon.ca/Creating-Tech-Healthy-Family-Must-Have-Conversations/dp/1734885904/ref=sr_1_2?crid=MEI0BWXKO19H&keywords=andrea+davis&qid=1655839385&sprefix=an%2Caps%2C941&sr=8-2
Check out KWE’s #patch4apurpose to support 1, or all 8, charities:
Today’s Host: @adriannaadventures & @laurenrodycheberle from @kidswhoexplore
Production: @kpmediaproductions. Music: @michaelferraro_music