Kady Lieber’s life was turned upside down when she found out her little Ava, then 17-months-old, had stage 4 brain cancer. After a year of helping Ava fight for her life, Kady and her family made a goal to live every moment to its fullest! Today’s podcast shines light on how to live in the moment and how animal tracking and nature can bond an entire family!
Kady Lieber is a traveler, designer, and adventure seeker splitting her time between the USA and Switzerland (when she can travel). She is mama to 2 girls, Taylor 11, and Ava 7.
Animal Tracking/Animal Viewing/Animal Watching Starter Tips:
- You can choose specific animals to track, or a wide range
- This is a great activity for keeping distance from people, and for those with mobility issues
- Starting with a guide can be super helpful (https://yellowstonewildlifeguidecompany.com)
- You’re supposed to stay 25-100 yards away, depending on animal type
- You can sometimes use spotting scopes for up to 2 miles away
- Backyard birding is a wonderful way to start close to home
At 17-months-old, Kady’s daughter was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor. These were the signs her daughter was showing:
- She was getting very grumpy
- She wasn’t walking and was no long cruising across furniture
- She was tilting her head in a certain “funny” way
They were sent for an MRI, which showed a tumor. They were then introduced to a Neuro-Oncologist. After surgery, when Ava was almost 2-years-old, she was like a newborn. Eventually she learned to walk, but lost most of her hearing. The aftermath of a brain tumor is pretty heartbreaking. Now, at the age of 7-years-old, she has the physical ability of a 3-year-old, and has the fine motor skills of a 2-year-old, despite being in therapy for 5 years.
Kady’s Advice: Live in the moment!! She was originally shocked by that advice from a doctor, but now thinks there are no better words of wisdom.
The Reign of Wolf 21: The Saga of Yellowstone’s Legendary Druid Pack by Rick McIntyre & Yellowstone Wolves: Science and Discovery in the World’s First National Park
Follow Kady on IG: @tavadventures
Check out KWE’s #patch4apurpose to support 1, or all 8, charities:
Today’s Host: @laurenrodycheberle from @kidswhoexplore
Production: @kpmediaproductions. Music: @michaelferraro_music