Episode 20, Tick Safety: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ep-20-tick-safety-with-3-moms-organics/id1548759798?i=1000525534832
Jenn’s daughter was recently bit by a tick. She came home and felt an itch, Jenn looked and saw the tick. She stayed calm. Got the needle-nose tweezers. Removed the tick straight out (do not twist). Washed the area. Put the tick in a plastic bag, wrote the date on it, and taped it to the cabinet. Then they waited for symptoms/signs, because you don’t want to test every tick. She found her daughter had symptoms 2 weeks later, so they sent the tick in for testing, and got an antibiotic from the doctor in the meantime.
If you have a concern and are showing symptoms, ask for tick-borne panel testing, as it tests for more than just Lyme disease.
Where Ticks Can Be Found:
- Long and short grass
- Beach sand
They have 8 legs, so they hang out and “quest” and then cling onto you. Spring brings a higher chance of tick encounters.
Steps Before/During Adventuring:
- Spray TickWise on you and your equipment (lasts for 90 minutes)
- Wear long, light-coloured socks and tuck your pants into socks
- Cover up with light-coloured clothing
- Use Permethrin on shoes (not on skin!!)
- Reapply TickWise every 90 minutes
Steps After Adventuring:
- Use a lint roller on clothing to catch any ticks
- Remove cloths, put in dryer for 1 hour on high heat
- Check body for ticks; Shower
- Don’t scratch without looking
If You Find a Tick:
- Use needle nose tweezers to pull it straight out, slowly
- Clean area
- Put tick in plastic bag with date
- Watch for symptoms
- If you find it in your house, not on you, burn it
- Organic and natural, so no harm having directly on you regularly
- 3 Moms Organics is all about tick education!
- TickWise can last for 3 years, if not in direct sunlight
- Replace bottle more often if in direct sunlight
- Can also deter many other bugs, including mosquitos
- Can work in hair as detangler, and to keep lice away
- “Tick Kit” coming soon!
Signs of a Tick-Borne Illness:
- Stomach issues
- Joints hurting (usually travelling joint pain)
- Dark circles under eyes
- Night sweats
- Meat allergy (4-8 hours after eating)
- Anything out of the ordinary for you!
Lyme disease symptoms will show up instantly, but many other tick-borne diseases don’t show up as quickly.
Follow 3 Moms Organics:
Youtube, Facebook, IG
Book: Glow Kids by Nicholas Kardaras, Ph.D.
Podcast – Imagined Life
Use Code: KWE2022 for 15% off TickWise now until May 14, 2022
Check out KWE’s #patch4apurpose to support 1, or all 8, charities:
Today’s Host: @adriannaadventures & @laurenrodycheberle from @kidswhoexplore
Production: @kpmediaproductions. Music: @michaelferraro_music